At Ghent University, we strive to educate people who dare to think about the challenges of tomorrow. For that purpose, we provide education that is embedded in six strategic objectives: Think Broadly, Keep Researching, Cultivate Talent, Contribute, Extend Horizons, Opt for Quality.
Ghent University continuously focuses on quality assurance and quality culture. The Ghent University's quality assurance system offers information on each study programme’s unique selling points, and on its strengths and weaknesses with regard to quality assurance.
Ghent University's Education Objectives
Unique Selling Points
The Information Engineering Technology programme results in the title of ‘Industrieel Ingenieur’. With our programme we
- aim to deliver broadly trained, highly employable and much sought after engineers who can take up various positions in the field of IT successfully;
- design our curriculum based on four cornerstones, which we gradually develop as the curriculum progresses: software design and software architecture, algorithms and data science, systems management, electronics and hardware;
- embed theoretical knowledge by means of practical examples and intensive practice sessions, during which students must apply their knowledge in a creative manner and train essential technical skills;
- offer research and communication competencies so that newly created knowledge is shared swiftly;
- coach and confirm students in their independence so that they are able to keep in tune with the ever-changing IT sector.
Our curriculum has a logical and coherent set-up and contains six learning pathways (see below). It was designed based on feedback from student surveys, alumni and the professional field.
- basic technical and scientific course units;
- software development and software architecture;
- algorithms and data science;
- systems management;
- electronics and hardware;
- project, research and communication.
- We use a well-considered and well-balanced mix of teaching methods to ensure that our students acquire the competencies in various ways. As the curriculum progresses, the number of formal lectures decreases in favour of more practicals. We offer our students written assignments and presentations as well as multidisciplinary assignments. Our assessment methods are well-suited to the competencies that students need to acquire. We also leave room for new assessment methods.
- Our programme boasts highly qualified staff from various staff sections. The lecturers are not only motivated teachers, but are also closely involved in the educational policy of the programme. They skillfully pass on the passion for their profession to students, and are easily approachable.
Our exit level is up to standards. Employers appreciate our alumni profile, which combines a strong basic scientific knowledge and application-oriented attitude. Our alumni are highly employable and appreciated by the professional field. Our alumni usually find employment quickly.
We organize various tutorial activities and offer self-test software for maths and study methods.
- In the master the programme offers a wide range of elective courses.
- The master's thesis can be carried out in collaboration with a company or a research group. Topics are screened in advance and the programme provides sound organisational support.
- There is room for improvement when it comes to internationalization. Despite ample information, very few of our students opt for a study abroad experience. Students who do not choose to stay abroad have only a limited number of options to have an international experience.
- Scientific integrity can be made even more explicit in the different subjects of the programme.
- Entrepreneurship, sustainability and civic engagement are mainly covered in electives courses.
- The programme has not yet been tested internationally.
This study programme is accredited by the Accreditation Organization of the Netherlands and Flanders (Dutch: NVAO). Accreditation was extended following the positive outcome of the institutional review in 2022. Programme quality was validated by a quality review, i.e. a screening of the Education Monitor by the Education Quality Board. The Quality Assurance Resolution (in Dutch) can be found here and here.
This information was last updated on 08/03/2023.
In case of questions or suggestions with regard to the publicly available information, please contact the study programme.