The first semester of the first year gives in-depth knowledge and knowhow in more general standard courses related to nutrition and rural development, in order to achieve a common base level between all students of different backgrounds.
The second semester standard courses aim at achieving a more specific but broad common base for the students. To tailor the course programme to the individual needs and interests, students can already take one elective course during the first master year. The second year of this master provides a more in-depth understanding of the specific problems and their solutions for the major they chose. The second year therefore consists of standard specific courses, a limited list of standard courses per major chosen, another elective course and master’s dissertation research. For the elective courses (including possibilities for an internship) the students may choose other courses offered in programmes at master’s level, at UGent or at an institute cooperating with UGent as long as they enable the student to compile a tailor-made study curriculum enhancing their individual needs or interests.
Students are encouraged to seek in a foreign country possiblities either for data collection (primary or secondary) or to prepare the whole master’s dissertation at a foreign university with whom a cooperation agreement has been undersigned. A local co-promoter (nominated by the staff of the programme) will assist them during that period.
- Research and education at universities, private or governmental institutions;
- Research in research institutions, private or governmental;
- Development project collaborators (governmental, national or international NGOs, private);
- Policy development, implementation and evaluation;
- Administration of rural and urban projects;
- Industrial sector; PhD programs;
- Overseas project collaborators for local governmental and non-governmental development organisations;
- Consultancy after some years of experience;
- Involved in Europe in some international organisations, active in the development cooperation field;
- In administration as policy preparatory jobs;